Carolina Surf Casters Association

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Tournament Casting > casting conditions

Kingfish

Why do conditions benefit one caster more than another?  Mostly, I'm thinking about my own casting.  Crosswinds are the worst, but I have to admit we have never set up or I have never been casting into a head wind on the field.  The thing that perplexes me is, I see some casters that seem to benefit more in downwind conditions.  I want to know the secret!!!

October 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TONY

Only thing I can figure is the height or hang time.of the cast

--

October 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kingfish

It may just come back to that power thing, but if thats the case , I also see a lot of guys leaving some distance with their trajectory.

October 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommy
Administrator

Wind is a funny thing. I've seen days that i just knew the sinkers were going to fly and they didn't. Other times a "just decent" wind will carry farther than expected. Sometimes a strong wind has a tendency to push the line (and sinker) down, this usually results in lower than expected distance. 

Elevation is generally considered to be good thing in high winds. I think this is the case most of the time. i have seen windy days when a line drive cast carried big distance.

I guess the short answer is that there is no secret. Just experiment and see what works best on the given day.

Tommy

October 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.