Carolina Surf Casters Association

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Tournament Casting > 1st Annual Jerry Valentine Classic Tournament Reply with quote

dwdart

Hello All,

SFCCI is holding our first tournament of 2013 in March. This tournament is in honor of our great friend Jerry Dee Valentine.

The tournament is March 23rd-24th 2013 in Kingsville, Texas at Dick Kleberg Park. Practice will be Friday 3:00pm - 6:00pm.

For those of you that know Jerry, you know he was a great person and played a big roll in getting the sport of distance casting in the USA where it is today. Jerry touched many lives during his time he was with us. Jerry left us on March 2 2012 after battling cancer, we are all coming together this March to honor him and hold the 1st Annual Jerry Valentine Classic Tournament.

We are inviting casters from all over to attend this tournament.

Debbie ( Jerry's wife ) and family are going to try to be in attendance, they would be blessed to see so many casters coming together to honor Jerry and his life.

If you can attend please post up so we can get a head count for preparation of the tournament.

If you have any questions, post them here or email Carlos Osuna c.osuna69@yahoo.com or David Womack dwwmopar@yahoo.com

We hope to see you all at the tournament!

SFCCI

--

Today is a great day!!! Make the best of it.

January 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dwdart

Hey guys and gals,

Only 66 more days until tournament time!!!

I hope you all are making plans to attend.

Talked to Debbie (Jerry's wife) today and she has said that she will be making it down for the tournament.

I hope you plan to make it. It's going to be a great tournament and fun time.

David

--

January 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dwdart

COME ON CSCA, who is coming for this great tournament?

We need your support on this one. Make plans to come on down to Texas if you can.

Hope to see you guys and gals at the tournament.

David

--

January 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ironman

Good morning CSCA,

Has anyone made plans to make it to our 1st annual Jerry Valentine Tournament?

Ironman, Jack Rice

--

February 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kingfish

Unfortunately, I will not be attending.  However, I would like to donate a  6600 QTC frame to the tournament.  I'll post it off to Carlos.  Jerry will be with you in spirit.  YEEHAW

February 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dwdart

Wayne,

Sorry you will not be makng it to the JVC tournament. It would be really great to have some folks form the CSCA attending.

This tournament is coming together very nicely and is going to be (IMHO) one of the top tournaments of 2013.

I will make sure Carlos knows to be on the look out for the QTC 6600 frame.

Thank you for the suport!

David

--

February 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dwdart

We are only a couple of weeks away. I hope some of the casters from CSCA will be coming out.

We have had a great responce from casters from all over. Everything is coming together nicely.

Make plans if you haven't already. This is a International tournament!!!

Here is a link for tournament information. You can also find us of facebook from the HOME tab.

http://sfcci.net/JERRY_VALENTINE_CLASSIC.html

David

--

March 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ironman

Just over 1 week to the Tournament.

Sure wish someone from CSCA would attend!

It's going to be fun.

--

March 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kingfish

Would love to be there, looks you guys have got a great tourney coming together.  I will make it down there yet......

how's your casting Jack, mine is going downhill fast..

March 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommy
Administrator

Wish i could make it Jack. Cannot get off work that weekend. Only 9 more months until Early retirement though... :) 

March 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dwdart

Here is the write up and results from the Jerry Valentine Classic Tournament.

This was absolutely the best tournament I have been apart of.

Thank you to everyone that helped put this together and made it happen.

Jerry Valentine Classic Long Casting Tournament 2013

Distance Casting Tournament in honor of Jerry Dee Valentine

Jerry Dee Valentine was instrumental in popularizing distance casting in Texas and the United States. A business man, caster, man of the Lord, brother, husband, father, teacher, master distance caster and friend. Jerry was a man’s man paving the way

for many souls. He will forever be remembered and close to our hearts.

This tournament was shaping up to be a great tournament and the one to be at. It was good to see a lot of the veteran casters as well as new casters at this tourney. There were many local casters from the area, as well casters that had traveled a long way. This was about remembering Jerry Dee Valentine, keeping his love for the sport alive and having a lot of fun in the process. This was our main goal of this tourney and I believe we achieved it.

It started out with a scheduled practice at Dick Kleberg Park on Friday afternoon. I think we were all checking the weather to see what the weather would have in store for us through out the weekend. Saturday was going to be a scorcher with little to no wind and Sunday would be a great day with real good wind and partly sunny. Little did we know what the weather and events would be like for us? Saturday morning was a bit foggy with 3-4 mph wind and once the field was set up we started the dedication ceremony. Roger Mortimore said a few words about Jerry Valentine, Jack Rice gave us a brief history lesson on casting and David Womack finished with a prayer as Jerry would always do.

After the first round of casting was done we knew it was going to be a tough day because of the weather. It did not matter though as we were there to have a good time. The sun finally came out and after lunch time it was already 85 degrees and getting hotter. We saw a little relief when the wind finally picked up at 3 PM to 10 mph. We finished the day with a total of 15 casters for the day. Everyone was looking forward to Sunday because of the weather. Once we packed up and headed back to the hotel to clean up and unload a few things we would soon be off to dinner. Big House Burgers was the venue and everyone was looking forward to unwind. It was a great dinner with a lot of laughs and banter back and forth. Most of us still continued the laughs back at the hotel after dinner in the parking lot and carried well into the night catching up on the day’s events.

Sunday morning came early and it was apparent the wind had arrived and it was blowing very mightily. It was already 25 mph by 7:30 AM and would continue most of the day. After the field was set up we were finally underway. I would like to think that after the hot day and no wind on Saturday that Jerry was looking down upon us and gave us a little wind and shade for the day. This was going to be a day to remember. Big Lou McaEachern, in honor of Jerry wore suspenders and even cast one round high reel position for Jerry. We had a total of 8 casters that were able to hit “personal bests” for the day and some on a couple of weights. The highlight of the day was watching Will Nash hit a new US record on the 100 gram weight and recorded a cast of 782.7 feet on a Century Excalibur Rod. It was an awesome day to say the least. I would like to say a special thanks to four of my friends who put in a lot of time and effort to make this tournament happen: Jack Rice, David Womack, Israel Hernandez and Rudy Ramirez.

I would like to thank many of our sponsors for this tournament.

David Womack

Jack Rice-Texaloy Foundry

Cliff McKay-C & L Surveying

Rudy Ramirez

Israel Hernandez

Rocky Guerra-Roy’s Bait and Tackle

Tommy Farmer-CCP

Jeremy Guzman

Ryan White-Hatteras Jack

Wayne Hill-CSCA

Susan Ivy-Dick Kleberg Park

Gary Palmejar-Buddhahead Custom Rods

Charlie Portaluppi/Terry Carroll with Zziplex

Lisa Osuna

Jennifer Hernandez

JERRY VALENTINE CLASSIC OFFICIAL RESULTS

150 Gram weight:

1st Will Nash 829.5 ft

2nd Troy Roberts 802.9 ft

3rd Gary Palmejar 787.4 ft

4th Rudy Ramirez 701.5 ft PB

5th Roger Mortimore 685.9 ft

6th Carlos Osuna 676.6 ft

7th Lou Mceachern 662.1 ft

8th Jack Rice 649.6 ft

9th Israel Hernandez 635.0 ft PB

10th David Womack 603.7 ft

125 Gram Weight:

1st Will Nash 810.5 ft PB

2nd Troy Roberts 781.1 ft

3rd Carlos Osuna 723.3 ft

4th Gary Palmejar 720.3 ft

5th Lou Mceachern 694.4 ft

6th Jack Rice 683.3 ft

7th Rudy Ramirez 654.0 ft

8th David Womack 642.7 ft

9th Israel Hernandez 636.5 ft PB

10th Rocky Guerra 540.0 ft PB 1st tourney

11th Jimmy Jacobs 527.9 ft

100 Gram Weight:

1st Will Nash 782.7 ft PB *New US Record*

2nd Troy Roberts 747.0 ft

3rd Rudy Ramirez 679.1 ft PB

4th Charlie Portaluppi 678.9 ft

5th Cody Mitchell 409.9 ft PB 1st tourney

6th Cliff McKay 330.7 ft PB

Women’s Division 125 Gram Weight:

1st Lisa Osuna 382.7 ft PB

2nd Silver Alamo 300.9 ft PB 1st tourney

3rd Jennifer Hernandez 191.4 ft

4th Lorna McKay 189.7 ft

Total Aggregate Winner (125 & 150 Gram Only):

1st Will Nash 1640.0 ft

2nd Troy Roberts 1584.0 ft

3rd Gary Palmejar 1507.7 ft

Longest Cast:

Will Nash 829.5 ft – 150 gram weight

Center Line:

Cody Mitchell .6 inch off centerline 1st tourney

Carlos Osuna

SFCCI

--

March 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.